Healthy Snacks on the Go | Supplements vs Whole Foods
Let Kris J Simpson share with you what foods to eat when on the go and what supplements are best for optimal health!
Have you ever felt starved, tired and ‘hangry’ all because you didn’t have snacks with you?
Snacks are not as complicated as we think. Today I will show you how to make healthier choices when on the go! I will also go over what supplementary foods to eat for optimal health.
Although many health food stores carry ‘healthy’ snacks, if they are in a fancy wrapper, they are processed and we should consume them once in a while. Instead pack snacks that are whole foods such as:
- Fruits: fresh fruits such as berries, bananas, melon, cherries, and more are portable to bring in your purse or work bag. They are great to have first thing in the morning.
- Vegetables: any type of veggies are great! The greener the better. Veggies are great with some hummus or light cream cheese.
- Nuts & Seeds / dried fruit (trail mix): mixed nuts provide an easy way to get a delicious dose of protein in a convenient way. Try a mixed bunch for variety and a combo with dried fruit for some added sweetness. Portion it out so you don’t up eating the whole package.
In terms of supplements, they are labelled ‘supplements’ for a reason and that is to ADD to an already sound diet. Supplements include the following:
- Protein bars: they come in a variety of flavours such as birthday cake, chocolate, peanut butter, pumpkin spice, etc. They are portable and a great way to add extra protein in your diet.
- Shakes (shakers): chocolate, vanilla, water, almond milk, fruit or no fruit, protein shakes are great after a workout.
- Refrigerated bars (D-bar): D-bars are meal replacement bars that have natural ingredients and need to be refrigerated to preserve freshness.
As my friend and author Ari Whitten says, “If it doesn’t fly in the air, swim in the sea, grow or run on the ground – DON’T eat it!!”
Life’s not perfect and that’s when we can add or “supplement” or diet with processed performance nutrition products.
Inspire to Aspire,
Author & Life Coach
Like this episode? Please share it! My blog, videos, and podcast are ad-free ONLY because you share my work!